Residents of Beaumont TX understand that summers are uncomfortable without a working air conditioner. Although the experts at Thermacon Service Company Inc. can repair, install, and fix your system, you will minimize future problems when you know how an air conditioner works.
Components and How an Air Conditioner Works
Each component of your system plays an important role in cooling your home effectively during the hot, humid summers.
- Condenser – This unit sits outside and houses the fan motor, compressor, capacitor, and condenser coil. The compressor, which is a pump, moves the refrigerant or heat transfer fluid between the indoor evaporator and the condenser. First, hot liquid refrigerant travels from the condenser coil to the inside unit. It takes a lot of energy to condense the liquid refrigerant to a gas, and it is the reason these coils are the “hot coils”. The fan cools the coils by dissipating the heat into the air.
- Evaporator – An evaporator is the indoor unit that provides the cooled air throughout your home. The evaporator coil, air handler, blower, and refrigerant are in the unit. The liquid refrigerant from the condenser runs through the evaporator coil, which turns the liquid into a gas and lowers the temperature. A fan blows air over the evaporator’s “cold coils” and that cold air is what cools your home. The evaporated air feels cool and dry on your skin. Too much moisture in the air makes it uncomfortable to breathe, and the temperature feels warmer than the actual thermostat setting.
- Ductwork – The ductwork is the last thing you think of when it comes to your air conditioning system, but clean ductwork is only part of how an air conditioner works more efficiently. During scheduled maintenance, let a technician inspect, clean, and repair ducts. Besides dust, other contaminants compromise your indoor air.
- Dead insects
- Mold and mildew
- Mold spores
Cleaner air improves indoor air quality, and you should have a technician check the ductwork during scheduled maintenance. Periodically, inspect the ductwork for damage, and if your air smells musty, moldy, or stale, call for service. Have your ductwork cleaned once a year and under these circumstances.
- After natural disasters
- After seasons with high pollen counts
- After ductwork installation and repairs
- After home renovations
- After installing or replacing insulation
- Before moving into a new home
Thermacon Service Company Inc. of Beaumont TX has technicians with North American Technician Excellence certifications who perform air conditioner services. It is not enough to know how an air conditioner works if it does not receive preventive maintenance. With twice-yearly maintenance, you will extend your system’s lifespan and improve energy efficiency.
Call us if you have questions about your air conditioner. If you need 24-hour emergency service, a qualified technician is always on call.