If your air conditioner is getting up there in age, the benefits you stand to gain from an A/C replacement are worth it the initial cost. In fact, delaying the replacement may lead to higher energy costs and paying for costly repairs — not to mention having to go without cooling for a time should the system break down.
Expected life span
Homeowners can expect an air conditioner to last between 15 and 20 years, with a well-maintained system purchased from a reputable manufacturer reaching the latter, while a neglected system may not even last as long as 15 years. In fact, replacing a system that’s just 10 years old can deliver proven benefits, since cooling technologies are always evolving, allowing manufacturers to create ever more efficient air conditioners.
Benefits of replacing an air conditioner
If you’re facing a repair, or your cooling system isn’t very efficient, here’s how you stand to gain from an A/C replacement.
- Reliability – Your replacement system will operate without fail, and you won’t have to suffer through the inconvenience of going without cooling when the system requires a repair.
- Energy savings – Choose an air conditioner with a higher seasonal energy efficiency ratio (SEER), and you’ll drive energy bills -- and lifetime costs -- down.
- Tax credits – Purchase a high-efficiency A/C replacement, and earn an energy tax credit of up to $300.
- Environmentally friendly – New cooling systems must employ the more environmentally friendly refrigerant R-410A, releasing fewer greenhouse gases.
- Warranty – A new system comes with a full warranty, so the system is covered should something go wrong, and you’ll generally have protection from paying for costly repairs on the system’s primary components.
- Comfort – You can trust that your A/C replacement will encourage optimal comfort in your home, with improved dehumidification and response to indoor humidity levels, and better distribution of cooled air.
- Air quality – Improved control over humidity also means less chance of mildew and mold growth occurring in the home. Choosing a system with higher-efficiency filtration encourages fewer indoor pollutants, giving indoor air quality a boost.
Thermacon Service Company serves homeowners in Port Arthur. Give us a call today if you suspect it’s time for an A/C replacement in your home.