Taking care of the home is a year-round job, with new challenges arising every season. Make sure your Beaumont, Texas, house stays in shape. Schedule the right tasks for each season to improve your air quality, energy efficiency, and home comfort.
Spring is a popular season for deep cleaning the home so it’s as fresh and alluring as the blossoming landscape beyond. Make sure you’re going beyond the regular routine of sweeping and dusting. Include important annual and biannual tasks such as:
- Air Conditioning Maintenance: It’s best to schedule your annual AC tuneup in the spring before you’re relying heavily on the system to battle the heat.
- Check Your Pipes: Examine bathroom and kitchen fixtures for signs of leaks or damage.
- Grout and Caulk: Freshen up the grout and caulk in your bathroom and kitchen for a good seal and clean finish.
- Inspect Weather Stripping: Check the weather stripping under windows and doors to make sure it’s in good condition. If you don’t have weather stripping in place, now is the time to install it to keep the cool air inside where it belongs.
- Check the Deck: Inspect the deck for stains or signs of damage. Pressure wash or refinish as needed so you have a pristine place to enjoy the spring and summer months.
- Deep Clean: Give your house a thorough cleaning. Dust trim and ceiling fans, wash your windows, vacuum and sweep underneath furniture, polish your kitchen cabinets, empty and wipe down shelves, and flip your mattresses if they’re double-sided.
Summer weather is perfect for getting outside and handling lawn care that you've neglected during the rest of the year. You can also adjust your home’s features for maximum energy efficiency during this peak cooling season in the Beaumont, Texas, area.
- Plant Trees: Choose those that block the summer sun while allowing for low-angle winter sunlight around the home.
- Adjust Your Planting Beds: Place those that need frequent watering away from the home to keep excess moisture away.
- Wash the Exterior: Power-wash and paint the home as needed.
- Check the Roof: Look for damage or wear. Repair and coat or seal the roofing as needed.
- Repair the Driveway: Fill cracks in the driveway and walkways as needed.
- Clean the Floors: Have carpeting professionally cleaned. Wax all tile or hardwood flooring.
In the autumn months, it’s important to think ahead to what you’ll need in winter. When the weather gets chilly, you’re less likely to want to head outside and handle exterior home maintenance. Take care of it now so you’re ready for the busy holiday season ahead.
- Clean the Gutters: Climb up with a trowel and bucket to get rid of leaves, twigs, dirt, and other debris in the gutters.
- Drain Your Hot Water Tank: Drain sediment from the hot water tank for optimum performance.
- Schedule HVAC Maintenance: Book a tuneup for your heating system in the fall to make sure everything is in good shape before you turn on the heat for the season.
- Seal the Home: Look for cracks around windows, doors, or trim. Seal these with caulk to create a secure home envelope that won’t let heat escape in cool weather.
Winter is filled with holiday activities, so you might not have time for a lot of home maintenance jobs. Stick with the basics to keep things in shape.
- Stock up on Filters: Get in the habit of stocking up on a year’s worth of HVAC filter as part of your New Year’s routine. Plan to change the filter every one to three months, depending on how dusty the home is.
- Check Attic Insulation: Make sure your attic has adequate insulation with no signs of damage of air leaks. Lay new insulation as needed.
Stay on top of home maintenance year-round to avoid major repairs or overwhelming jobs. If you need a helping hand with your HVAC maintenance, give Thermacon Service Company Inc. a call at 409-299-3076. We’ll help you schedule the proper annual visits for reliable heating and cooling in every season.
Image provided by Shutterstock