CALL US TODAY TOLL FREE:

(866) 797-1535

Professional Service Is Our Business!

Warning Signs and the Dangers of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Posted on in Blogs

Carbon monoxide, or carbonous oxide, is a silent gas that is very dangerous to all oxygen-dependent life forms. Carbon monoxide threshold levels vary in individuals, however, an exposure of one hundred p.p.m. (parts per millionth) or greater is regarded as toxic. Carbon monoxide regularly infiltrates our day-to-day lives through motor vehicles, machines run by gas, free-standing heaters, heaters, stoves and burners. We easily and inadvertently draw this dangerous, odorless gas in through our lungs.

A mild exposure to carbon monoxide can produce mild symptoms of bewilderment, faintness, head ache, giddiness and an influenza sensation. Larger exposures, or exposures for a longer period of time, are particularly deadly to the central nervous system, the cardiovascular system, and generates hypoxia (an inadequate quantity of oxygen to reach the body's tissues). The toxicity produced by carbon monoxide is lethal. Long-term exposure to very low levels is just as damaging in the long-term often producing melancholy, disorder and decline of memory. Severe birth defects in the infants of women who were exposed to hazardous levels of carbon monoxide throughout their pregnancy are a great threat as well.

The prevention of carbon monoxide poisoning is a significant public health problem. Luckily, the reduction associated with carbon monoxide poisoning is simply prevented by early discovery of carbonous oxide gas through the use of a carbon monoxide alarm (CO detector). This reasonably priced device is located near the flooring, or near the ceiling, and designed to notify us of its discovery of carbon monoxide by alarm. On average, a CO sensor has a lifespan of 7 years prior to replacement. However, that does not include things like a straightforward battery replacement. Carbon monoxide alarms are mandatory in new construction.