CALL US TODAY TOLL FREE:

(866) 797-1535

Professional Service Is Our Business!

How Vidor Homeowners Can Minimize the Threat of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Posted on in Blogs

Carbon monoxide is an extremely dangerous gas that can be produced by any fuel-burning appliance, such as a furnace, stove or water heater. By properly maintaining your home and appliances, as well as installing carbon monoxide detectors, you can prevent carbon monoxide poisoning and keep your family safe.

carbon monoxide detector 3Dangers of Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide cannot be seen, smelled or tasted, which allows it to build up inside your home undetected until it reaches dangerous levels. The early symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headaches, nausea, dizziness and fatigue, and it can easily be mistaken for a cold or the flu.

If exposure continues, symptoms may worsen to include a loss of muscle control, confusion, vomiting and unconsciousness. Even in small amounts, carbon monoxide may cause brain or organ damage, and in large amounts, it can cause death, especially in infants or the elderly.

Preventing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon monoxide is often produced when an appliance is malfunctioning or a flue is damaged, clogged or improperly sized. Have your home's heating system and other fuel-burning appliances checked at least once a year, making sure they're operating correctly and burning fuel efficiently.

Have the flues inspected for excessive soot buildup and blockages, and to make sure they're not corroded or leaking. Also have your chimney inspected to make sure the liner and the chimney itself are in good condition, especially if the home was converted from oil or wood heating to natural gas.

Detecting Carbon Monoxide

Install at least one carbon monoxide detector on each level of your home and one near each bedroom, according to the manufacturer's instructions. Test the carbon monoxide detectors regularly, replace the batteries, and replace the detectors themselves according to the manufacturer's recommendations.

For more information about preventing carbon monoxide poisoning, or to have your heating system inspected, contact our home heating experts at Thermacon Service Company. We proudly serve Vidor, Port Arthur, Beaumont and the surrounding areas.

Image Provided by Shutterstock.com